Here, I’m breaking down some of the most prevalent terms and definitions about steroids.
Anabolic steroids, or anabolic-androgenic steroids (AAS), are synthetic compounds that mimic testosterone, enhancing muscle size, strength, and athletic performance. They promote muscle growth through increased protein synthesis. Typically administered as injectables or orally, overuse can lead to serious health issues. These substances are commonly associated with bodybuilding and performance enhancement.
Steroid injections, administered intramuscularly, target muscle areas, but precision is crucial to avoid puncturing veins or arteries, which can have severe health consequences. Anabolic steroids, including AASs, enhance muscle growth and athletic performance but carry substantial risks, particularly when misused, both in medical and illicit contexts.
Injectable Steroids are often used to help the body develop muscle, decrease fat, and become stronger. It may be used as a performance-enhancing medication as well.
Oral steroids are a type of medication that is taken by mouth, usually in the form of tablets or capsules. These steroids are synthetic versions of the hormone cortisol, which the body naturally produces in the adrenal glands. Oral steroids are commonly prescribed to reduce inflammation, suppress the immune system, and treat various medical conditions such as asthma, autoimmune disorders, and allergic reactions.
They are distinct from anabolic steroids, which are often used for muscle-building purposes and have different effects. Oral anabolic steroids replicate the effects of testosterone, aiding muscle recovery in illness or injury. They’re prescribed for weight gain in severe conditions but can weaken the immune system in high doses.
One method for taking steroids is known as “stacking.” Users form anabolic stacks by mixing different anabolic steroids in order for it to have a compounded benefit to their muscle mass. No scientific evidence or theories have come forward to support this strategy.
Steroid hormones, derived from cholesterol, regulate various bodily functions by binding to cell receptors and promoting the production of messenger RNA molecules for protein synthesis. Examples include testosterone, estrogen, and cortisol, controlling metabolism, immune responses, sexual development, and more. Anabolic steroid hormones, synthetic variants, enhance muscle protein synthesis and stimulate growth hormone production for bone growth.
Corticosteroids, also known as glucocorticoids, are synthetic anti-inflammatory drugs mimicking adrenal gland hormones. They treat various conditions such as rashes, inflammatory bowel disease, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus. Common examples are Prednisone, Methylprednisone, Dexamethasone, and Betamethasone. While effective, high doses can elevate infection risks, especially with prolonged use.
SARMs, or Selector Androgen Receptor Modulators, are synthetic compounds that function similarly to anabolic steroids but with improved precision and safety. They attach to androgen receptors, promoting muscle growth and bone density without the adverse effects associated with traditional steroids. SARMs have potential benefits in preventing osteoporosis and muscle loss while reducing the risk of diseases like prostate cancer.
Post Cycle Therapy (PCT) is essential after using external testosterone or anabolic steroids, which can suppress the body’s natural testosterone production. PCT helps restore normal hormone levels, minimizing side effects like mood changes, fatigue, and breast enlargement. Various PCT products are available, such as Savage Line – PCT or CLOMID (CLOMIPHENE CITRATE), to expedite the recovery process and reduce adverse effects.
Steroid use among bodybuilders and athletes can lead to sexual issues like reduced desire, testicular shrinkage, and erectile dysfunction, despite boosting testosterone. Anabolic steroids aren’t intended as sexual aids and misuse can cause sexual dysfunction.
To combat ED while using steroids, medications like Sildenafil (Viagra) and Tadalafil (Cialis) can help. Sildenafil rapidly improves erections, while Tadalafil enhances blood flow to the penis, with effects starting as quickly as 15 minutes and lasting longer, allowing a choice based on desired duration.
Most Frequently Used Steroid Terms and Slang
- Roids: It is the widely recognized and common slang term for steroids, derived directly from the word itself.
- Anabolic: Relates to the process of protein building within the body.
- Androgen: A steroid hormone that promotes male characteristics.
- Estrogen: The primary female sex hormone, contrasting with androgens.
- Cycle: A predetermined duration during which a specific steroid or steroids are taken, followed by an equivalent period of rest without them. For instance, if you decide to use Anavar for a period of 6 weeks, that duration is referred to as a 6-week cycle. This means you’ll be taking Anavar consistently for 6 weeks before taking a break from it.
- Pyramiding: Gradually increasing the number of steroids, their doses, or frequency of use during a cycle, peaking at mid-cycle and tapering down toward the end.
- Stacking: The practice of using multiple steroids simultaneously, often in combination with other anabolic steroids SARMs.
- Aromatize: The process of developing feminine or feminization characteristics.
- Atrophy: Refers to the deterioration of muscle or organs due to disuse or health issues.
- Hypertrophy: An increase in the size of cells or organs, often referring to muscle growth.
- Lean mass: The amount of muscle on an individual’s body without excess fat.
- Virilization: The acquisition of mature male characteristics by an individual.
- Man Boobs or Bitch Tits: Slang for Gynecomastia, the development of breast tissue in males. It is the enlargement of male breast tissue due to hormonal imbalances, primarily caused by an excess of estrogen relative to testosterone, often associated with steroid use.
- Deca: A slang term for Nandrolone Decanoate, originally marketed as Deca-Durablin.
- D-bol: Slang for Methandrostenolone, initially sold under the trade name Dianabol.
- EQ: Slang for Boldenone Undeclynate, originally known as Equipoise.
- Clen: Short for Clenbuterol, a bronchodilator often used as a fat-loss drug.
- Tren: Slang for various forms of the drug Trenbolone, available in several forms.
- Winny/Winnie: Slang for Stanozolol, originally sold as Winstrol.
- On the juice: On the juice is a slang term used to refer to someone who is using steroids.
- PEDs: It is an abbreviation for “performance-enhancing drugs,” is a broad term encompassing substances, such as steroids, that enhance athletic performance and muscle growth.
- Var: Slang for Oxandrolone, originally marketed as Anavar.
- Gear: A colloquial term encompassing steroids, syringes, SARMs, and related substances.
- Shotgunning: Inconsistent or irregular use of steroids.
- Juice: Slang for injectable steroids, often in liquid form.